The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation sponsors this program with applications currently being received for the Bill Gates Scholarship award for the the next academic session. The Gates Scholarship is targeted at high performing students with good academic records and aims at supporting students full cost of attendance as specified by their college or university.
The Gates Scholarship (TGS) is a highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for outstanding, minority, high school seniors from low-income households. Each year, the scholarship is awarded to 300 of these student leaders, with the intent of helping them realize their maximum potential. This is a fully funded scholarship for undergraduates inclusive of all subjects and discipline.
Undergraduate degree programs.
To apply, students must be:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Additionally, a student must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year(4) degree program, at a US accredited, non-profit, private or public college or university.
*For persons of American Indian/Alaska origin, proof of tribal enrollment will be required.
The Ideal Applicants
An ideal applicants will have:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance and other valuable skills etc.)
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or the methodology used by a Scholar’s college or university.
*Cost of attendance is comprehensive and it includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, and transportation, and may include other personal costs.
How-to-Apply: Prospective applicants for the Gates Scholarship awards based on the eligibility criteria described above, needs to click here to apply for the registrations.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here.